Mould Remediation – What is Mould and How Can it Affect You?

Mould can cause serious health problems in your home. It can irritate the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. People with weakened immune systems are more susceptible to long term exposure. It can trigger symptoms such as coughing, sneezing and flu-like symptoms.

It is important to deal with mould remediation as soon as you see it. This will prevent it from spreading further and avoid serious health issues.

Mould is a dangerous fungus that causes health issues by releasing toxic spores into the air. The spores then enter your body through inhalation or through contact with the skin. This can cause a variety of problems, such as irritation of the eyes, skin, nose and throat, and may trigger asthma symptoms in people who have an allergic reaction.

Mould typically grows in areas that are damp or have had water ingress. This can be due to flooding from a burst pipe or structural issues that allow rainwater to penetrate the home. Leaking roofs, guttering, and downpipes can also contribute to mould growth, especially if the leaks are not repaired promptly.

Poor ventilation can also contribute to mould growth, as can condensation from faulty heating or appliances, and steam from showers. A damp specialist can conduct a moisture survey to identify the source of the damp and help prevent future mould. They can also check for the presence of a leak and provide recommendations for remedial work.

Mould thrives in damp environments releasing mycotoxins and this triggers inflammatory responses in the body which can be very damaging to health. Individual reactions vary considerably due to immune tolerance, lung barrier integrity and genetics and this is why some people can live in a mouldy environment without symptoms whilst others are severely affected.

Long term exposure to mould spores can cause a variety of symptoms, ranging from skin irritation, rashes and itchiness to eye problems (including blurred vision), nose and throat congestion, breathing difficulties, coughing and wheezing. For some, these issues can be more serious and have been linked to neurological damage such as headaches, memory problems and cognitive decline.

It is important to recognise these signs and seek remediation from a professional if you think you may have a problem. The sooner you take action the better. After remediation, you will likely notice that your symptoms improve as the mycotoxins are eliminated by your body. Further testing may be required to assess nutrient status as mould can disrupt the gut lining leading to malabsorption of certain nutrients and a state of dysbiosis, further functional blood chemistry tests are available to explore this.

If you think your home has a mould problem, it’s important to contact a certified mould inspector who can provide a free visual inspection. They’ll be able to identify the type of mould and recommend the best treatment options.

Damp walls and ceilings often support the growth of various types of mould. Dampness can be caused by roof leaks, structural problems, and issues with guttering and ventilation. It can also be caused by basic everyday activities such as showering, cooking and drying clothes.

Mould spores are always present in the air and can be carried between properties by air movement, contaminated clothing and other items. These spores can trigger allergies and irritate the eyes, skin, nose and throat. They can also lead to breathing problems in those with pre-existing respiratory conditions. Mould can damage your property, reduce its value and aggravate existing health problems such as asthma and allergies. It’s a serious problem that should be dealt with promptly and thoroughly by a professional mould remediation specialist.

Mould is caused by a moisture issue within the property which can be due to flood damage, major or minor roof leaks, water condensation and poor ventilation. Mould spores thrive in moist areas and are commonly found on the walls, ceiling and furniture of properties. Mould spores can also be found in kitchen and bathroom areas where water condensation, leaking taps, broken seals on showers or baths and poorly designed draining systems can all lead to damp spots that are prone to mould.

Mould needs to be dealt with and eradicated as quickly as possible for a number of reasons. As well as the obvious health issues it causes a deteriorating building structure, loss of valuable possessions and in some cases can even be fatal. Wiping down and using bleach based cleaning products typically makes the situation worse as it sends out mould spores into the airspace making them land on other surfaces and potentially causing additional mycotoxin contamination.mould remediation london

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *